If you love the show Shark Tank, you know there are some great personalities and entrepreneurs who headline the show. Mark Cuban, Mr. Wonderful, Robert Herjavec, Damond John, Lori Greiner, and Barbara Corcoran. Each world-class entrepreneur has a unique story of what got them on the stress-enduced ABC stage. They also have a simple and fundamental understanding of what works and likely what doesn’t when they evaluate prospective deals.
Watch every episode and you’ll come away with two questions:
- What are your sales?
- What does it cost you to make/distribute/service your product (i.e. profit)
No sales. No deal.
The more my career evolves, the more I understand there is no value, zero, without a sale created. Ironically from a “sales guy’s” perspective I didn’t understand this right away in my early 20’s. I loved marketing, the style, the brand identity, value and overall quality design big projects yielded. That said, sales make the world go round and everyone (EVERYONE) has something they’re selling.
The sharks know, if you don’t have sales, they don’t have an offer. Goodbye!
If you’re not selling, you’re sold to the fact you’re stuck.
Step back and think of everyone selling something today…not who you think:
- Presidents of colleges are selling their institutions of higher learning for grant money and talented professors
- Parents sell their children nightly on the value of homework and good decision making
- Nonprofits sell their ideology to prospective donors
- A mid-level marketing manager is selling a new idea to his boss to drive more market share. His commissions: $0
- College coaches out on the recruiting trail are selling their school, their knowledge, and their vision for the future
- A new pilates instructor is selling prospective students to fill up her “pilates for moms” 6-week evening class
- I’m selling my blog and my ideas. The ideas that will make you a healthier, wealthier, and more fulfilled life.
If for some reason you don’t like the word selling, immediately start getting comfortable with the word: influence.
Your ability to influence, directly impacts your ability to achieve, advance, or crush your goals.
ACTION ITEM: If you find yourself in a position of not getting what you want, or what you think you deserve, find your way back into your passion and selling/influencing an idea. Creating opportunities for your team, company, or even yourself will get you what you’re looking for!