What are you searching for?
Are you looking for an answer?
I believe everyone is looking for something! Human existence revolves around finding progress somewhere in our life. The human mind doesn’t allow anyone to remain stagnant, or satisfied…for that matter. Our 2,000+ year old brain is always searching. We used to search for food, now we search to solve problems.
You may be searching for: better physical shape, searching to quit a habit, a bigger income, a MUCH bigger income, more freedom at the office, a better relationship, another job entirely, a better business, and the list goes on forever.
Here’s the thing…I’m looking too. Every day!
Insert pragmatism. The answer to what we’re all looking for is simple. It ALWAYS is. The reason it’s simple, there is nearly a 100% chance, what you’re looking to do or solve for, someone else has already done it.
That said, the effort may not be EASY, but that doesn’t change the answer does it?
Answers are simple. Action tends to be the hard part.
Here is a rundown, a short list, of what millions are looking for at this very moment…and pragmatic answers to each challenge.
- Lose Weight – stop eating shit and get to a gym 4-5x a week. Simple
- Quit Smoking – Commit to NOT lighting the next cigarette. Simple. Yet millions have proven…not easy.
- A New Job – Get serious about letting people know your value and get committed on finding something new, or somewhere new. AKA – commit and try. Simple.
- More Money – Get a second Job. Whoa… you mean more work? Answer is simple isn’t it?
- More Money at my “current” job – tell your boss. What do you want, and how do you intend to deliver the value to cash the check back to your employer? I’d also associate a timeline. Raises NEVER come at the expense of the employer. Not an employer planning to stay in business.
Just because you don’t like the answer, or it isn’t comfortable, doesn’t mean the answer gets to change. Feelings take a back seat to a truly pragmatic view. It’s commitment and RESULTS we’re after.
Less think. More do.
I learned this practice a great deal from previous owners I worked for (thank you if you’re reading this) and most recently from my partners.
If you’re not getting what you want, in anything, you MUST change it…or suffer the consequences. The consequences will likely hurt much more in the long run if you delay.
Lastly, the pragmatic and the popular don’t often coincide. I feel as though they’re almost opposite sides of a magnet pushing against one another resisting connection.
As I continue to read, listen to, and digest the best and brightest leaders, entrepreneurs and thinkers of yesterday and today, most, if not ALL are ruthlessly pragmatic.
Reflective. Simple. Authentic. Action-oriented.
ACTION ITEM: A shift toward the pragmatic. Simple answers…not easily achieved. In the end, it is up to you. It always has been. Maybe you just needed to cut through the bullshit.